Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.
Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.
Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.
Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.
Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.
Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.
We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.
The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.
Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.
In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.
Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group
The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.
We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.
If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.
Last Updated on: 28th July 2023, 07:16 pm
If you or someone you love has been accused of embezzlement, the first step is learning exactly what constitutes this crime and the serious penalties involved. The complexity of financial embezzlement allegations means having an experienced white collar defense attorney on your side is critical.
This comprehensive guide will teach you what defines criminal embezzlement, the related charges under state and federal law, where to find skilled embezzlement lawyers, and what qualifications to look for when choosing legal counsel. Let’s get started.
Embezzlement is a white collar crime that involves a person misappropriating or misusing funds or assets they were entrusted with for personal enrichment. This can take many forms, such as:
– An employee stealing from their company.
– A financial manager misusing client investments.
– A public official misdirecting government money.
– A power of attorney misspending an elderly person’s money.
– A partner diverting business funds for personal spending.
The key factors are that the person was legally entrusted with controlling the funds or assets, they misused that access for unauthorized personal gain, and they intended to deprive the rightful owner of the money or assets.
Different state and federal statutes address embezzlement crimes depending on the context. Penalties vary based on the amounts stolen and other factors. But make no mistake – charges for financial embezzlement are always prosecuted harshly, with years in prison common upon conviction.
Having expert legal counsel is crucial when facing accusations as complex as embezzlement. The mechanics of financial crimes aren’t easily understood by laypersons. Don’t go it alone against prosecutors armed with intricate evidence and knowledge of the law.
While specifics vary between states, here are some of the main criminal counts that apply to financial embezzlement schemes:
– Larceny – The basic crime of stealing money or property belonging to someone else. Applies to many embezzlement scenarios.
– Grand Larceny – The same crime as above, but involving amounts over a certain monetary threshold determined by each state. Significantly harsher penalties.
– Wire Fraud – Using electronic communications and transactions to execute fraudulent schemes to steal money or funds.
– Mail Fraud – Similar to wire fraud, but involving use of postal mail to carry out embezzlement plots.
– Money Laundering – Disguising the proceeds of unlawful activity through financial transactions to hide origins. Often accompanies embezzlement.
– Tax Evasion – Failing to pay taxes on ill-gotten funds can trigger IRS scrutiny and tax crimes.
– Racketeering – Under RICO statutes, embezzlement through an organized criminal operation triggers racketeering charges.
As you can see, prosecutors have many statutes to wield against individuals caught embezzling – and penalties can be severe depending on amounts and aggravating factors. Don’t think a skilled lawyer can’t help defend against charges. Their expertise can expose weaknesses in the state’s case.
Facing prosecutors prepared to allege technical financial crimes, why is experienced legal defense so vital?
Prevent Draconian Sentences – The harsh mandatory minimums under laws like grand larceny mean skilled lawyers are the only thing standing between you and years behind bars. They can get charges reduced or dismissed.
Expose Weaknesses in the Prosecution’s Case – Attorneys dig into the details and discover flaws in the state’s arguments and evidence. Just one reasonable doubt can lead to dismissal or acquittal.
Negotiate Reduced Charges or Diversion Programs – Well before any trial, lawyers work to negotiate plea deals to lesser charges, probation, or entry into diversion programs to avoid prison. Skilled negotiation is key.
Argue Mitigating Factors to Lessen Sentences – If found guilty, experienced attorneys make compelling arguments about circumstances and good character to sway judges to go easy at sentencing. This reduces damage.
Navigate Complex Discovery – Documents and financial records in embezzlement cases can be mind-boggling. Lawyers know how to comb through everything efficiently to build your defense.
Explain Legal Nuances and Strategy – The law around financial crimes is endlessly complex. Attorneys translate it into plain English for you to understand your best options.
Build a Winning Trial Strategy – If you can’t reach a favorable plea deal, lawyers use their investigative, research, and litigation skills to mount a compelling defense at trial targeting reasonable doubt.
While the evidence may seem stacked against you, don’t lose hope. With an excellent embezzlement lawyer fighting for your rights each step of the process, the ultimate outcome may be much better than you think.
When facing criminal allegations involving complex financial schemes, where should you turn to find experienced embezzlement defense lawyers? Smart places to look include:
– Your state bar association website, to search by specialty and location. Vet any disciplinary records.
– White collar criminal defense law firm websites, to view case results and attorney bios touting relevant experience.
– Friends or colleagues who’ve used lawyers for financial disputes or crimes, to ask for referrals.
– Online legal directories like FindLaw, Avvo, and Lawyers.com to filter by practice area, reviews, and location.
– Legal aid organizations if you can’t afford private counsel. Some provide white collar defense services pro bono.
– Courthouses, to network with lawyers and watch potential attorneys in action arguing cases.
Cast a wide net using multiple search strategies. Finding the right lawyer for complex embezzlement cases takes effort – but it’s crucial to set up the strongest defense. Don’t take shortcuts here.
Once you identify prospective embezzlement attorneys, how do you pick the best one to entrust with your defense? Key factors to weigh include:
– Years handling financial crime cases – Look for extensive career experience specifically defending white collar and embezzlement cases over many years. This signals strong capabilities.
– Case Results – An established track record of favorable outcomes, reduced charges, and keep clients out of prison shows the lawyer knows how to win. Ask for examples.
– Courtroom Skills – Strong oral advocacy and cross-examination abilities are crucial for trial. Look for lawyers with proven litigation experience.
– Negotiation Tactics – Since plea deals are common, you want an attorney who is a shrewd negotiator. Past negotiated outcomes show dealmaking skill.
– Mastery of Financial Crimes – Look for deep knowledge of the complex web of statutes used for embezzlement charges and sentencing guidelines. Laws are intricate.
– Staff and Resources – Well-resourced law firms have teams supporting each case. Ask about paralegals, forensic accountants, legal assistants, and investigators available.
– Communication Style – Above all, choose a lawyer who makes you feel comfortable, clearly explains legal issues, and is responsive to questions. Trust your gut.
Don’t rush into a decision when selecting embezzlement defense counsel. Take time to thoroughly research options and vet credentials before finalizing your choice. With a skilled attorney, even severe allegations can be overcome.
One firm I highly recommend considering for representation with embezzlement or other financial crime charges is Spodek Law Group based in New York.
Led by accomplished attorney Todd Spodek, they have a stellar track record getting serious felony financial charges like embezzlement dismissed or reduced. Here’s why they stand out:
– Decades of financial crimes experience – Founder Todd Spodek has spent his career handling complex fraud, theft, and embezzlement charges. His skills are unmatched.
– Expert trial litigators – Spodek Law has no fear of the courtroom and will aggressively litigate if pleas fail. Mr. Spodek is a tough cross-examiner ready to expose flaws in the prosecution’s case.
– Creative legal strategies – The firm develops innovative angles to defend charges not utilized by other lawyers. Novel legal theories can create reasonable doubt.
– Exceptional negotiation skills – Attorney Spodek has consistently negotiated highly favorable plea deals and settlements that avoid prison time for clients facing steep odds.
– Compassion for clients – Reviews praise the lawyers’ commitment to clients and treating them like family during difficult allegations. They go the extra mile.
– Perfect record – In over 20 years, Attorney Spodek has never lost a client to jail or prison time – a feat unmatched by other embezzlement lawyers.
I highly encourage contacting Spodek Law Group for a free consultation if you or a loved one are facing embezzlement or other financial charges. Their track record and expertise offer clients the absolute best chance at avoiding frightening prison sentences. Don’t gamble with your future – call today!
Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.