Being accused of grand larceny in New York is rather serious. If you are currently facing such a charge, you need a NYC criminal lawyer fight on your side. You have certain rights that need to be protected from the outset, and an attorney is the best person suited to do just that. Your law firm will represent you at every hearing, work to ensure that proper evidence is presented to either prove your innocence or get you a reduced sentence, and to make certain that you receive a fair trial if it comes to that. Your future earning potential and livelihood is at stake, so you will want to make that initial contact with a NYC criminal attorney right away.
What is Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree
New York Penal Code 155.30 actually sets out a point by point description detailing what grand larceny in the fourth degree consists of. NYC criminal attorneys will be able to determine which of these factors contributed to your arrest and then make efforts to provide you with the best legal defense possible. The factors leading to a charge of grand larceny in the fourth degree can include any of the following:
- The value of the property that you are accused of stealing is valued at more than $1,000
- The property that was stolen is a matter of public record
- You are accused of stealing secret scientific material
- If you are accused of staling credit or debit card related information, a charge of grand larceny in the fourth degree may be levied
- Firearm theft falls in this category
- If you take property off of a person, you can be charged with this crime
- Extortion falls into this category
- Any vehicle stolen that is valued over $100
- Religious documents that are valued over $100 and contain some expression of faith
- Stealing some form of telephone service is also considered to be grand larceny in the fourth degree
- Liquefied or anhydrous ammonia that is used to make methamphetamine
Law enforcement officials have a great deal of latitude in lodging the actual charge against an individual, This can be petit larceny, which is a misdemeanor in New York, or it can be grand larceny in the fourth degree. This is a felony. One of the distinguishing factors in determining that actual charge is typically the value of the property that is stolen. In many cases, that value is not exact. This is NYC criminal lawyers will come in and carefully examine the arrest and actual charge that was levied against you.
Defenses for a Charge of Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree
There are numerous extenuating circumstances that may have resulted in your arrest in the first place. Your lawyer will work to get to the bottom of the charge and determine what can be done for you. In many cases, you might have been unaware of the value of the property that was taken. In other cases, you might have been given permission to borrow the item, only to be charged of theft due to a misunderstanding. There are other cases where the value is grossly over estimated by the victim or law enforcement, resulting in the felony charge of grand larceny in the fourth when in reality a lesser charge of petit larceny should have been issued. Your lawyer will get to the bottom of the situation for you.
If you been arrested for a criminal offense in New York City, contact a lawyer in the area for a consultation as soon as possible.