Criminal defense attorneys represent clients for both felonies and misdemeanors. Learning more about what these attorneys do and why those accused of certain crimes need one is imperative for all people.
Criminal Defense Attorney Services
The United States Constitution promises that all citizens of the United States will be provided with legal representation should they be charged with a crime. If you wish to seek out a criminal attorney on your own, the first step is knowing the services that they offer.
A criminal defense attorney may represent someone for an array of crimes. Some lawyers may be more general, covering a variety of crimes while others might specialize in specific types of crimes. For example, they may mostly represent those charged with felony murder or those charged with a DUI. Finding a lawyer that has experience in what you were charged with can be highly beneficial for your case.
There are many things your criminal defense attorney can help you with:
• They will discuss your charges and evaluate them based on the evidence against you.
• There are times when charges might be able to be stopped before they are filed. On average, charges are filed within approximately three days. If stopping charges is possible, your attorney will meet with the federal prosecutor or district attorney to see what can be done. If the charges cannot be completely stopped, they may be able to get them reduced.
• Recommend and build you a defense strategy that is most fitting for the case against you.
• Help you with the emotional elements that can come with a criminal trial, should you elect to go to trial.
• Provide you with information about how the process works so that you know what to expect throughout all phases of the process.
• Make sure that you know about the legal rules and laws that apply to your case. This could play an integral role in your overall defense strategy.
• Ensure that your case is properly heard so that all of the nuances and any special considerations are accurately presented.
• Aid you in understanding how your case might be affected by prosecutorial discretion. This is imperative to help you in getting the best possible outcome.
• Collect witness statements and evidence that could be important for creating reasonable doubt for your case.
• They are better able to find key witnesses that could help to show your innocence or provide additional key evidence.
• Hire private investigators to find things that could help your case, such as additional evidence or witness statement inconsistencies.
• If sentencing is necessary with your case, your attorney can help you to learn about alternative sentencing optionsor the general options that best meet your preferences. Alternative sentencing options may include therapy, community service, house arrest, monetary fines or substance abuse programs.
Why You Need a Criminal Defense Attorney
When you are facing charges, you need someone on your side to help you to navigate the complex legal system. This is where an experienced criminal defense attorney comes in. First and foremost, this type of attorney has expertise that allows them to effectively defend you against the charges you are facing. They know the law and the criminal system, so they can help you to navigate each step in the process as successfully as possible.
When you are going to trial and need a defense strategy, the strategy you use is going to be unique. These attorneys are able to examine your case and create a strategy that provides the best chance at reasonable doubt concerning your guilt. They know how to examine the evidence against you, how to determine if witness statements might actually help you and they are able to find ways to discredit any witnesses against you. This type of lawyer will also be able to identify loopholes in the evidence that might benefit you.
Throughout the criminal process, a wealth of paperwork needs to be filled out and filed. It is imperative that all documents are filled out accurately and filed correctly and on time. Criminal defense lawyers know how to tackle this paperwork and they are able to get it filed in a timely manner so that there are no unnecessary paperwork delays.
If you are considering a plea, your lawyer can help to reduce the risk of the judge denying it. Judges do not have to accept all plea terms. Your lawyer will work with the prosecutor that is handling your case to determine if a trial can be avoided. They will be able to use their expertise and their knowledge of similar cases to help convince the prosecutor that a plea is the best course of action.
This type of attorney can help to protect you from making hasty and uninformed decisions. Once you ask for a lawyer, law enforcement is no longer allowed to keep talking to you. This means that you will not be subject to their tactics or be forced into admitting to something you did not do. Your lawyer will make sure that the decisions you make are the best ones for your case.
When prosecutors are working on your case, they have some freedom concerning what they will charge you with and how harsh these charges may be due to prosecutorial discretion. An experienced criminal defense attorney knows the law and is able to examine your case in a way to help reduce the risk of false or overly harsh charges being brought against you. This is important because when you are being charged with something, you want it to be fair. They can also help with fair sentencing should you be found guilty.
Questions to Ask Your Criminal Defense Attorney
Once you decide on a lawyer, you want to make sure to ask the right questions so that you have a full understanding of your case. The following questions are common:
• Which legal options are available for my case?
• Should I plead guilty, go to trial or agree to a plea agreement?
• Are there any issues you foresee with my case?
• What elements of my case may work in my favor?
• What can I expect throughout the process at the different stages?
Knowing the answers to these questions helps to ensure that you know what is happening with your case. It also makes it easier to effectively assist in your defense.
Todd is a miracle worker who will work tirelessly for you and your family. He is one of the few attorneys i've met - who I earnestly trust to protect me, and who I am happy to refer to our friends and fellow family members. The Spodek Law Group is someone you want on your side, because they will treat you just like family. Todd and his team are available 24/7, and they always answered our calls. Even when we were being irrational, and crazy - they were calm and super helpful. Just call Todd. He gives you a free consultation and is very understanding.- Donna & Robert
85 Broad Street, 30th Floor
New York, NY 10005
35-37 36th St,
Astoria, NY 11106
195 Montague St.
Brooklyn, NY 11201