Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.
Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.
Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.
Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.
Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.
Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.
We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.
The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.
Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.
In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.
Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group
The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.
We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.
If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.
Last Updated on: 26th July 2023, 10:54 pm
Maybe you got stopped and frisked and the cops found a few pain pills in your pocket. Or that “study buddy” you met on campus sold you what turned out to be meth, not Adderall. However it happened, you now find yourself charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in New York. Yikes.
The first order of business is sorting out exactly what “Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Fourth Degree” really means. Let’s break it down…
In New York, this charge falls under Penal Law § 220.09 and is categorized as a Class C felony, carrying up to 5-15 years in prison. Not the kind of thing you want looming over your head.
The key thing is that 4th degree possession applies when you allegedly have a controlled substance weighing 50 milligrams or more. That might not sound like much – a few grams at most. But the law is super strict about any amount that can be considered for “personal use.”
Some common drugs charged under § 220.09:
– Pain pills – Oxycodone, Percocet, Vicodin
– Stimulants – Cocaine, Adderall
– Anxiety/depression – Xanax, Valium
– Hallucinogens – LSD, mushrooms
– Synthetic cannabinoids – K2, Spice
And yes, 50mg also applies to hardcore substances like heroin and meth. But with those drugs, you may face additional distribution charges if the cops think you had any intent to sell or traffic. Not good!
Now for a Fourth Degree controlled substance charge to stick, the prosecution needs solid proof that you knowingly and unlawfully possessed an illicit or controlled substance. Let’s break it down element by element:
## Knowing Possession
To prove this element, the DA must show that you were:
– Actually aware that drugs were in your possession. Can’t be through accident or ignorance.
– In physical custody of the drugs, either on your person or in your belongings/space.
– In control or able to exercise control over the drugs.
– You didn’t know the pills/substance were in your backpack or pocket
– Someone else left the drugs there without your knowledge
– The drugs belonged to someone else (friend, partner, spouse)
## Unlawful Possession
To fulfill this element, the prosecution has to show:
– You did not have a valid prescription for the medication
– The substance was listed as controlled and illegal in New York
– You obtained the drugs through an illegal source/means
– You had a doctor’s prescription allowing you legal access to the medication
– You made an honest mistake and thought the drugs were legal (CBD vs cannabis, etc)
– You unknowingly took drugs that someone had spiked your drink with
## Type and Weight of Drug
The DA has to prove:
– The seized substance was in fact a controlled, prohibited drug
– The weight of the drug was 50 mg (1/2 gram) or more
– Lab testing shows the supposed “drugs” were inert or not actually illicit substances
– The weight of the substance was below the 50mg cutoff for 4th degree charges
– Improper handling of evidence compromised the accuracy of reported type/weight
As you can see, the prosecution needs hard evidence to make all elements stick. Police reports, lab testing records, drug weight certificates, and so on.
## Fighting Fourth Degree Drug Charges
Given the complexities of these cases, an experienced NY drug crimes lawyer can often get charges reduced or dismissed by attacking the DA’s evidence and legal theory.
For instance, we may…
– File discovery requests and retain independent experts to verify testing procedures, handling of evidence, and reported weights. Any sloppy police work gets called out.
– Challenge admissibility of evidence if search and seizure was unconstitutional. Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine FTW!
– Argue you had a lawful prescription defense or raise reasonable doubt about knowledge of possession.
– Negotiate dismissal of charges through pretrial diversion programs and drug treatment. The goal is keeping your record clean.
– Take the case to trial and beat the charges outright if possible. We live for cross-examining shaky witnesses like narcotics officers and chemists.
The reality is these cases often have legal weaknesses that can be exploited by applying pressure in just the right places. But it takes an attorney well-versed in the nuances of NY drug laws to get you the best outcome.
Let’s talk about where you’re at. I can review police reports, weigh options, and map out an aggressive strategy to attack the charges. With decades of experience beating these raps, I know what it takes to raise doubt, get charges dropped or reduced, and avoid long term damage to your future.
You have a lot at stake, but you also have rights. Don’t let them pressure you into anything less than the strongest possible defense. There’s always hope. We can fight this!
Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.