New York Healthcare License Defense Lawyer – Protecting Your Career and Reputation
Having your healthcare license investigated or facing potential disciplinary action can be an incredibly stressful and frightening experience. Your reputation, livelihood, and career are on the line. But with an experienced New York healthcare license defense lawyer on your side, you can rest assured knowing your rights are protected and you have the best chance of a favorable outcome.
Common Reasons Healthcare Licenses Come Under Scrutiny in New York
There are a variety of reasons New York healthcare professionals can face investigations and disciplinary proceedings, including:
- Negligence or incompetence – Making serious errors in judgment or providing substandard care that harms patients. Even unintentional mistakes can prompt complaints.
- Inappropriate handling of medications – Improper prescribing, mishandling of controlled substances, or diversion of medications for personal use.
- Insurance fraud – Upcoding procedures, billing for services not provided, falsifying records, etc. to obtain higher insurance reimbursements.
- Sexual misconduct – Engaging in sexual relationships with patients, sexual harassment, inappropriate touching during exams, etc.
- Substance abuse – Alcohol or drug addiction that impacts your ability to properly treat patients.
- Criminal convictions – Any type of criminal offense, even a misdemeanor, can trigger disciplinary action against your license.
- Unethical conduct – Breaches of ethics, such as violating patient confidentiality, fraudulent billing, discrimination, etc.
Even if you believe you are innocent or that the allegations are exaggerated, you should never ignore an investigation by your licensing board or criminal charges. The consequences are too severe. You need an experienced NY healthcare license defense attorney to protect your interests.
New York Healthcare License Defense Lawyers Defend Your Livelihood
We routinely handle investigations, disciplinary hearings, appeals, and criminal charges on behalf of healthcare professionals. Our goal is to resolve the matter favorably so you can move forward with your career and avoid long-term damage to your practice.
Specific ways we defend medical licenses in NY include:
- Reviewing the complaint – Assessing the allegations to determine the best defense strategy.
- Gathering evidence – Obtaining documentation and witness statements to refute the charges.
- Negotiating with the licensing board – Trying to get complaints dismissed or penalties reduced.
- Representing you at hearings – Defending you before the licensing board and presenting counter evidence.
- Filing appeals – Challenging adverse rulings to overturn penalties against your license.
- Avoiding criminal charges – If the case involves potential criminal prosecution, negotiating with prosecutors for amnesty.
- Reinstating licenses – Assisting with the process to regain your license if it has already been revoked.
With so much at stake, you need an attorney who knows how to navigate the New York healthcare disciplinary system and how to build the strongest case for your defense.
Responding to Investigations of Medical Misconduct
If you receive notice that a complaint has been filed against your New York medical license, it is absolutely essential that you engage a healthcare license defense lawyer immediately. Never attempt to respond to an investigation or interact with investigators on your own without legal representation. Anything you say or do could ultimately be used against you.
As soon as we are retained, we will contact the New York Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) on your behalf. We will act as your legal representative in all further interactions with the OPMC and licensing board. Our first priority is making sure your rights are protected from the outset.
We will then thoroughly review the complaint filed against you to gain a full understanding of the charges and penalties you may face. Next, we will discuss with you the best strategy for responding to the investigation and building your defense case. With your input, we will begin gathering supportive evidence and identifying witnesses who can testify on your behalf.
If possible, we will seek to negotiate a dismissal of the complaint or a consent agreement for a lesser penalty. If the case does proceed to a formal hearing, you can have full confidence knowing you have an experienced NY healthcare license defense lawyer fighting for you every step of the way.
How Criminal Charges Can Impact Your Medical License
One of the quickest ways for a healthcare professional to lose their medical license is to face criminal prosecution. In New York, a criminal conviction – even for a misdemeanor offense – can prompt disciplinary action and lead to the suspension or revocation of your license.
Some examples of criminal charges that can affect your medical license include:
- Drug-related offenses (drug diversion, illegal prescribing, possession, etc.)
- Sex crimes
- Domestic violence
- Insurance fraud
- Tax fraud
To avoid catastrophic damage to your career, the criminal charges must be defeated. Our healthcare license defense lawyers routinely represent medical professionals facing criminal prosecution. We work closely with our network of criminal defense attorneys to build the strongest case possible to avoid a conviction. This is the surest way to prevent collateral damage to your healthcare license.
If you do end up with a criminal record, we can advise you on the appropriate time and process for disclosing it to your licensing board. We may be able to minimize the impact on your license by arguing mitigating circumstances. Having an advocate who understands both criminal and healthcare license defense is crucial.
You deserve the strongest legal defense for your reputation, career, and livelihood. Don’t leave anything to chance. Call us today!