New Jersey PPP and EIDL Loan Fraud Lawyers
The COVID-19 pandemic led to the creation of federal loan programs like the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program to provide financial relief for struggling businesses. However, these programs have also been exploited by fraudsters looking to take advantage of the system. In New Jersey, federal prosecutors have been aggressively pursuing cases against individuals accused of PPP and EIDL loan fraud.
Common PPP and EIDL Fraud Schemes
Some of the most common PPP and EIDL fraud schemes prosecuted in New Jersey include:
- Submitting loan applications with false employee, payroll, and expense information to obtain larger loans
- Using fake or stolen identities, including those of deceased people, to apply for multiple fraudulent loans
- Fabricating supporting documentation like payroll records, tax documents, and bank statements
- Conspiring with others to submit fraudulent loan applications for shell companies or defunct businesses
- Receiving kickbacks for recruiting “borrowers” and preparing bogus applications
- Misusing loan proceeds for unauthorized purposes instead of approved business expenses
- Laundering loan money through fake payrolls, sham companies, and personal purchases
Defenses to PPP and EIDL Fraud Charges
If you are being investigated or charged with PPP or EIDL fraud in New Jersey, potential defenses include:
- Lack of criminal intent – The government cannot prove you knowingly set out to commit fraud.
- No false statements – You did not make any material false statements in your application.
- Loan eligibility – You truthfully reported information showing your business was eligible.
- Authorized use of funds – Loan proceeds were spent on legitimate business expenses.
- Return of funds – You repaid any disputed loan amounts.
- Reliance on others – You reasonably relied on a third party’s advice or actions.
- Weak evidence – The prosecution lacks solid evidence to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt.
An experienced federal criminal defense lawyer can carefully examine the prosecution’s evidence and determine the strongest defenses for your case.
How an Attorney Can Help Fight PPP or EIDL Fraud Charges
Facing federal criminal charges for PPP or EIDL fraud can be an overwhelming and terrifying experience. But an attorney can provide critical guidance and advocacy to help you get the best possible outcome. A lawyer can:
- Conduct an independent investigation of the allegations and evidence
- Negotiate with prosecutors for dismissal or reduction of charges
- Develop and argue motions contesting improper government conduct
- Advise you on whether to take a plea deal or go trial
- Present persuasive defenses showing your innocence at trial
- Argue for the lowest possible sentence if convicted
With so much at stake, it is vital to have an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer on your side fighting to protect your rights, freedom and future. Do not wait to get help from a top PPP and EIDL fraud attorney in New Jersey.
Finding the Right Lawyer for Your Case
If you or a loved one is under investigation or charged with PPP or EIDL fraud in New Jersey, you need legal counsel you can trust to aggressively defend your rights. Look for a lawyer with extensive experience in federal criminal defense, financial fraud cases, and the CARES Act relief programs. They should have a proven track record of positive outcomes for clients facing white collar criminal allegations.
Schedule a free, completely confidential legal consultation to discuss your case. A knowledgeable attorney will answer all your questions, explain your options, and start devising an effective defense strategy. With an experienced federal fraud lawyer on your side, you can have confidence that your case is in the absolute best hands possible. Do not leave your fate to chance – get in touch with a top PPP and EIDL fraud defense attorney today.