The Spodek Law Group is an elite criminal defense law firm that provides superior service and white glove professionalism, to a unique clientele nationwide. We handle tough cases that require experience, attention to detail, and excellence in order to win. With over 50 years of combined experience, we’ve handled national and international cases.
Service is paramount to results. We treat you like family, so you know what's going on always.
When you hire our criminal attorneys, you work directly with a senior attorney only.
We've been reviewed and rated as a top rated criminal defense law firm.
Our criminal defense law firms is one of the most successful defense law firms in the state of New York. We have a high success rate because we are very pragmatic when it comes to advising our clients on how to proceed – and to make sure their case ends in a positive outcome. Our goal is to help every single client get charges dismissed, or reduced. Because of our work, 100’s of people have been able to avoid criminal charges from being filed against them.
"Spodek Law Group have offered me excellent support and advice thru a very difficult time. I feel I've dealt with someone who truly cares and wants the best outcome for you and yours. I'm extremely grateful for all the help Spodek Law Group has offered me. I can't recommend them..."David Bruce
"Spodek Law Group was incredibly professional and has given me the best advice I could wish for. They had been helpful and empathetic to my stressful situation. Would highly recommend Spodek Law Group to anyone I meet."Rowlin Garcia
"Best service I ever had. Todd is absolutely class personified. You are in the safest hands with spodek. They have their clients interest in mind."Francis Anim
It is illegal under both federal and state law to make false promises, false claims or material misrepresentations in order to enrich yourself. Committing financial aid fraud can result in prosecution within New York State as well as criminal prosecution at the federal level by a U.S. attorney. Financial aid fraud takes a number of forms, including making incorrect claims to receive money from agencies such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or to obtain funds under the Title IV Federal Student Assistance Program.
If you have been charged with a financial aid scam, contact Spodek Law Group, PC today for legal assistance. An experienced attorney on our team can help you to determine the best method of dealing with an indictment or arrest and walk you through the most effective way to respond to police questioning without sacrificing your legal rights. Call us today for more information.
Types of Financial Aid Fraud
There are a number of financial aid frauds, including:
– Applying for disaster benefits from FEMA using inaccurate information about disaster losses or using someone else’s identity.
– Applying for federal student aid using someone else’s identity.
– Manipulating test scores on exams to qualify for federal student aid grants.
– Intentionally misrepresenting income or omitting income information on the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms.
– Straw student scams, in which individuals apply to schools or universities as new students with fake GED certificates or phony high school diplomas. Money is sent to the school in which the student is enrolled, and when the balance of the loan is more than the cost of the tuition, the remaining money is sent to the fake students.
Financial Aid Fraud Penalties
The above examples as well as other financial aid fraud scams involving federal aid funds can result in criminal charges for:
– Making misleading, fraudulent or false statements (18 U.S. Code Section 1001). You face five years incarceration for fraudulent or false statements within the jurisdiction of the judicial, legislative or executive branch of the U.S.
– Conspiracy to defraud the U.S. (18 U.S. Code Section 371). You face five years incarceration for attempting to defraud against the U.S. government, even if you are unsuccessful.
– Making fictitious, fraudulent or false claims to any U.S. Government agency (18 U.S. Code Section 287).
– Identity theft or false identification offenses (18 U.S. Code Section 1028). You face 15 years incarceration for obtaining financial aid benefits through identity misrepresentation or identity theft.
– Wire fraud (18 U.S. Code Section 1343), which also has a potential 20-year imprisonment sentence for committing fraud using wire communications.
– Mail fraud (18 U.S. Code Section 1341). You face imprisonment for 20 years for using the postal service as part of your alleged fraud scheme.
Even submitting a FAFSA form with purposefully incorrect information may be enough for an individual to face charges of attempting to make false statements, defraud the government and either wire or mail fraud depending on whether the individual mailed or electronically submitted the form.
Due to the serious nature of these crimes, particularly as they relate to defrauding the U.S. government, and the significant consequences of the allegations, it is imperative that individuals accused of financial aid scams work with a professional lawyer who can help protect their rights. Although you may feel as though you may adequately represent yourself and that an attorney is unnecessary, a financial aid lawyer can work to make sure you are treated with the fairness and justice you deserve.
Why You Need a New York Financial Aid Lawyer On Your Side
Financial aid fraud comes with serious consequences. No matter what type of fraudulent act you’ve been accused of, you have the right to defend yourself in a court of law, but it’s important to understand the best method of representing yourself against the charges against you. A New York financial aid lawyer can inform you of the available defenses or assist you in negotiating a plea agreement with prosecutors in order to reduce the severity of your charges. For more information about financial aid fraud or to schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation, please contact a professional financial aid attorney at Spodek Law Group, PC today.
Spodek Law Group have offered me excellent support and advice thru a very difficult time. I feel I've dealt with someone who truly cares and wants the best outcome for you and yours. I'm extremely grateful for all the help Spodek Law Group has offered me. I can't recommend them enough.
Spodek Law Group was incredibly professional and has given me the best advice I could wish for. They had been helpful and empathetic to my stressful situation. Would highly recommend Spodek Law Group to anyone I meet.
Best service I ever had. Todd is absolutely class personified. You are in the safest hands with spodek. They have their clients interest in mind.
We provide superior service, excellent results, at a level superior to other criminal defense law firms. Regardless of where your case is, nationwide, we can help you.
555 W 5th St 35th floor, Los Angeles, CA 90013
35-37 36th St, 2nd Floor Astoria, NY 11106
85 Broad St 30th Floor, New York, NY 10004
195 Montague St., 14th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201