Denver Federal Criminal Lawyers
Getting charged with a federal crime can be a scary and overwhelming experience. The federal criminal justice system is complex, and the potential consequences for a conviction are severe. If you are under investigation or have been charged with a federal crime in Denver, having an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer on your side is critical.
What Makes Federal Crimes Different
Federal crimes are prosecuted in federal courts under federal law, not state law. Common federal crimes prosecuted in Denver include drug crimes, white collar crimes like fraud and embezzlement, federal gun charges, human trafficking, child pornography, cybercrimes, and more.
Defendants in federal criminal cases face lengthy prison sentences, massive fines, and severe collateral consequences. For example, federal drug charges like trafficking typically carry mandatory minimum sentences of 5, 10, or 20 years in prison. Even low-level federal drug possession charges can result in years behind bars.
White collar federal crimes like healthcare fraud, wire fraud, securities fraud, and tax evasion also often lead to multi-year sentences, even for first-time offenders. Federal sentences tend to be longer than state sentences for equivalent crimes.
Fortunately, the Denver federal criminal defense attorneys at leading law firms like Oberheiden P.C. and Spodek Law Group have the experience and skills to build the strongest possible defense against federal charges.
Why Hire a Private Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Facing federal criminal charges in Denver can be daunting. But an experienced lawyer can advise and guide you through the complex criminal justice system while building the strongest possible defense. Don’t leave your fate to chance.
Consult with a knowledgeable Denver federal criminal defense attorney from a top-rated criminal defense firm for experienced and aggressive representation. Private attorneys have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate your case, identify weaknesses, negotiate with prosecutors, and take your case to trial if necessary.
Federal public defenders also provide legal services to defendants who cannot afford private counsel. However, public defenders typically have extremely high caseloads that limit their time for each client.
Retaining a private lawyer allows you to choose who will represent you and ensures the case gets the time and attention it deserves. This is especially critical for complex white collar cases involving extensive documents and financial records.
Key Capabilities of an Effective Federal Criminal Defense Attorney
When researching potential lawyers, look for these hallmarks of an effective federal criminal defense attorney:
- Deep knowledge of federal law and procedure – The federal criminal justice system has its own unique rules and procedures. An experienced federal practitioner will navigate this complex system confidently.
- Litigation skills like motion practice, oral advocacy and cross-examination.
- Strategic thinking to identify and exploit weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
Seasoned federal criminal defense lawyers in Denver use their expertise to protect clients’ rights and freedom.
Questions to Ask Potential Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
I suggest posing these inquiries when interviewing federal criminal defense attorneys:
- How much experience do you have specifically with federal cases in Colorado?
- Gauge the lawyer’s confidence and command over the specifics of defending federal cases locally. You want an attorney who knows their way around Denver’s federal courthouse and consistently achieves successful outcomes for clients facing federal prosecution.
- What defense strategies are typically effective against my charges?
- How familiar are you with the federal judge and prosecutor assigned to my case?
- What are the risks and benefits of going to trial versus accepting a plea deal?
- Will you be the lead attorney handling my case?
- Can you provide references from past clients charged with federal crimes?
Their answers should demonstrate extensive experience handling federal criminal cases in Denver and knowledge of the judges, prosecutors, and procedures.
Where to Find Denver Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
There are a number of ways to find experienced federal criminal defense attorneys in the Denver metro area:
- Search lawyer directories like those published by Martindale-Hubbell and FindLaw.
- Look up the Colorado Bar Association’s lawyer referral service.
- Search reputable rating platforms like Avvo.
- Ask professional contacts or your existing lawyer for referrals.
- Research attorneys who write blog posts or speak at legal conferences regarding federal criminal defense.
Cast a wide net and thoroughly research credentials. Take advantage of free consultations to speak with lawyers before making your decision.