Service & Results.

nyc criminal lawyers over 30 years of experienceWe Know How To Win Cases

Spodek Law Group handles tough cases
nationwide, that demand excellence.

Get Free Consultation

Faced 5+ Years in Prison

People Vs Joseph Amico

Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.

Faced 10+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Anna Sorokin

Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.

Faced 3+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Genevieve Sabourin

Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.

Faced Potential Charges

Ghislaine Maxwell Juror

Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.

Why Choose Us

Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.

Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.

We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.

Law in the Media

View All

Meet Todd Spodek


The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.

Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.

In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.

Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group

The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.

We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.

If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.

Can we stop our divorce if we’ve changed our minds?

By Spodek Law Group | July 27, 2023
(Last Updated On: October 15, 2023)

Last Updated on: 15th October 2023, 08:59 am

Can We Stop Our Divorce If We’ve Changed Our Minds?

Divorce can be an emotional rollercoaster. Many couples start the process believing divorce is the right decision, only to later have second thoughts and realize they want to try to save their marriage. If you and your spouse have begun divorce proceedings but now want to halt the process, there are steps you can take depending on how far along you are.

Dismissing the Divorce Petition

If divorce paperwork has been filed with the court but your spouse has not yet submitted a response, it may be possible for the petitioner (person who filed for divorce) to unilaterally withdraw the petition. This stops the divorce and requires no additional consent. However, if your spouse has formally responded to the petition, both parties must agree to dismiss the case[1].

To dismiss a divorce petition, you’ll need to file a Request for Dismissal form with the court clerk. Be sure to select “without prejudice,” meaning you can re-file later if needed. You’ll also need your spouse’s signature agreeing to the dismissal if they’ve already responded[2].

Once submitted, the court will remove the case from its docket and you’ll no longer have to worry about responding to filings or appearing at hearings. However, if you change your mind again down the road, you’ll have to restart the divorce process and repay filing fees[3].

If you’re unsure about reconciling long-term, consider asking the court to convert your divorce petition into a petition for legal separation instead. This puts your marriage in limbo – you remain legally married but live separately while working out issues like child custody, spousal support, and property division[4].

The major advantage of legal separation over divorce is that it’s easier to reconcile later. If you do repair your relationship, you simply file to dismiss the separation. But if it doesn’t work out, you can then move forward with finalizing the divorce[5].

Suspending Divorce Proceedings

Another option is to file a motion asking the court to suspend your divorce case for a set period of time, such as 6 months. This presses pause on the proceedings so you can focus on reconciliation without stressing over deadlines and court dates.

To suspend a divorce case, you and your spouse must sign a stipulation presented to the court by your attorneys. If you reconcile, you can then dismiss the case entirely. If not, the case will resume once the suspension period ends.

Reversing a Divorce After the Decree

Once a judge signs your divorce decree, legally dissolving your marriage, it becomes very difficult to undo. If it’s been less than 30 days since the decree, you may be able to file an emergency motion asking the judge to rescind it. But this isn’t guaranteed to work.

If it’s been over 30 days or the judge won’t reverse the decree, you and your spouse are officially divorced in the eyes of the law. At this point, the only way to become married again is to have another wedding and get a new marriage license.

Tips for Reconciling After Filing for Divorce

  • Seek counseling. Addressing underlying problems that led to divorce in the first place is crucial for reconciliation. Marriage counseling or couples therapy can facilitate this.
  • Communicate openly. Discuss what went wrong and how to rebuild trust. Set expectations for how you’ll interact moving forward.
  • Take it slowly. Don’t immediately resume all aspects of your relationship. Date your spouse again and gradually work up to more commitment.
  • Involve attorneys. Keep lawyers updated on your plans to halt divorce proceedings. They can advise you legally.
  • Consider trial separation. Living apart briefly may help you gain perspective on the relationship and if you both want to save it.
  • Don’t ignore problems. Sweeping issues under the rug won’t make them go away. Doing the work is the only path to true reconciliation.

When Is It Too Late to Stop a Divorce?

Generally, once a divorce decree has been issued by a judge, reversing course becomes extremely difficult if not impossible. The decree formally dissolves the bonds of matrimony under the law.

That said, as long as you halt the divorce prior to the decree being finalized, you and your spouse maintain the option to reconcile. Dismissing the petition, seeking legal separation, or suspending the case are all viable options during this window.

The key is acting quickly as soon as you start having doubts and communicating with your spouse openly. With proper legal guidance and a true commitment from both people to repair the relationship, it may be possible to call off a divorce in progress.

Consulting a Divorce Attorney

If you and your partner are having second thoughts about ending your marriage, it’s important to discuss your case with a knowledgeable divorce attorney right away. An attorney can review your options and help you take appropriate legal steps to stop the proceedings.

Every situation is unique. An attorney can analyze the specifics and advise you on dismissal protocols, converting to separation, suspensions, and more. They can also help craft a reconciliation plan that sets you and your spouse up for success.

Don’t assume you’re out of options if you’ve started divorce but now want to make amends. Schedule a consultation with an attorney as soon as possible to save your marriage. With the right legal assistance, calling off a divorce mid-process may be possible.






What Happens If You Change Your Mind About Divorcing Your Spouse?


What Happens If You Change Your Mind About Divorcing Your Spouse?


Free Consultation


I was searching for a law firm with some power to help me deal with a warrant in New York . After 6 days I decided to go with Spodek Law Group. It helped that This law firm is well respected by not only the top law firms in New York , but the DA , Judge as well. I...

~Fonder Brandon

5 Stars
It was my good fortune to retain Spodek Law Group for representation for my legal needs. From the beginning, communication was prompt and thorough. Todd, Kenneth and Alex were the first people I worked with and they all made me, and my company Qumana skincare feel comfortable and confident that the team was going to work hard for me. Everything...

~A G

5 Stars
After meeting with several law firms, I chose the Spodek Law Group not only for their professionalism and experience, but for the personal attention given to me right from the initial consultation. It is important to recognize how crucial having the right legal team is when faced with potentially life altering events that impact families and the lives of loved...

~George Cherubini

Spodek Law Group

White Glove Service

We Provide Superior Service, Excellent Results, At A Level Superior To Other Criminal Defense Law Firms. Regardless Of Where Your Case Is, Nationwide, We Can Help You.
View More

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.


85 Broad St 30th Floor, New York, NY 10004


get directions

Los Angeles

611 S Catalina St Suite 222, Los Angeles, CA 90005


get directions


35-37 36th St, 2nd Floor Astoria, NY 11106


get directions


195 Montague St., 14th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201


get directions
Call Now!