Why You Need a Queens Grand Larceny Lawyer
Facing any criminal charge is scary, but a felony grand larceny accusation can completely upend your life. These cases are complex, with the prosecution needing to prove you stole and intended to deprive the owner of their property. An attorney knows how to fight the DA’s evidence and show reasonable doubt. A lawyer can also argue to get your charges reduced or dismissed through various strategies:
- Lack of Evidence – Many grand larceny cases hinge on circumstantial evidence. An attorney can show the evidence doesn’t conclusively prove you committed the crime.
- Invalid Confession – If you confessed after an unlawful arrest or due to coercion, it can be thrown out.
- Entrapment Defense – If police improperly induced you into committing the crime, the charges can be dismissed.
- Mistake of Fact – If you had a good faith belief you had permission to take the property, you lacked criminal intent.
- Return of Property – Bringing back or paying for stolen goods can show good faith and lead to reduced charges.
- Mental Health Issues – Conditions like kleptomania could provide a psychiatric defense.
Without a lawyer, you won’t even know these defenses exist. Queens grand larceny attorneys have experience negotiating with DAs to get charges lowered or dropped. They can also develop sentencing alternatives to avoid jail time.
Choosing the Best Grand Larceny Lawyer in Queens
Picking the right attorney is crucial for the best outcome in your grand larceny case. Here are important tips on finding the perfect lawyer:
- Focus on Criminal Defense – Choose a law firm that specializes in criminal defense, not general practice.
- Check Experience – Look for a lawyer with extensive experience fighting grand larceny and theft cases. Ask about their specific case results.
- Local Knowledge is Key – It’s vital to have a lawyer intimately familiar with the Queens criminal justice system.
- Personality Matters – Make sure you choose a lawyer you feel comfortable and can be open with. This is your partner in fighting the charges.
- Avoid Guarantees – Distrust any lawyer who guarantees they can get your case dismissed or avoid jail. Ethical lawyers won’t make such bold assurances.
- Get a Consultation – Sit down with the lawyer to discuss your case specifics and evaluate if they are the right fit.