Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.
Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.
Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.
Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.
Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.
Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.
We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.
The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.
Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.
In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.
Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group
The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.
We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.
If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.
Last Updated on: 27th July 2023, 04:33 pm
If you or a loved one has been accused of causing a death while driving recklessly in New York, you need strong legal counsel to advise you during this critical time. Aggravated vehicular homicide under NY Penal Law § 125.14 is an extremely serious Class B felony with a maximum 25 year prison sentence. Choosing the right lawyer to defend your rights is imperative.
This process understandably raises many questions and concerns. Factors like attorney experience, case record, legal expertise, fee structure, defense strategy and more all play key roles. You likely feel overwhelmed navigating these complex, high-stakes legal waters. But with smart guidance, you can identify the best attorney for your unique situation.
Here is a comprehensive overview of key considerations when selecting defense counsel after vehicular homicide charges along with advice for making the right choice:
Above all else, you want a lawyer intimately familiar with New York’s aggravated vehicular homicide laws and defense strategies. Vehicular crimes incorporate complexities like blood alcohol calculations, toxicology reports, crash forensics and traffic statutes. An inexperienced attorney lacks the skills to build an effective defense incorporating these factors.
Ideally, you want counsel with 10+ years handling NY vehicular homicide and manslaughter cases. They have seen every prosecutorial argument and handled diverse scenarios from drunk driving incidents to distracted driving fatalities. This seasoned perspective allows crafting nuanced defenses.
For example, Todd Spodek of Spodek Law Group possesses over 20 years defending clients accused of vehicular crimes in Brooklyn, Manhattan and surrounding areas. His unparalleled experience successfully defending Class B felony vehicular homicide charges makes him an ideal choice for representation.
Checking an attorney’s past case results provides insight into their effectiveness defending similar charges. The ideal counsel achieves frequent case dismissals, acquittals, favorable plea deals and minimal sentencing through aggressive defense.
For example, Mr. Spodek has successfully defended clients facing 15+ year sentences obtaining not guilty verdicts, dismissals or probation by scrutinizing the prosecution’s evidence and forcing them to prove intent beyond reasonable doubt. His case record shows he knows how to control the narrative.
Be wary of attorneys who always advise pleading guilty. While sometimes appropriate, credible lawyers pursue every defense angle first before conceding. Review online case summaries, client testimonials, attorney awards and other proof of a strong court record.
Defending vehicular homicide charges requires specialized legal, scientific and investigative knowledge. Seek counsel well-versed in areas like:
– Intoxication and toxicology analysis – Critically assess BAC testing, implied consent, toxicology reports, etc. to contest charges
– Crash investigation and reconstruction – Identify alternative accident causes by reviewing forensic evidence. Challenge prosecutorial crash theories.
– Traffic statutes – Use knowledge of vehicle codes to prove reasonable driving. Challenge improper citations.
– Repeat and suspended license enhancements – Fight sentencing enhancements levied due to status.
– Victim restitution laws – Minimize sentencing by negotiating reasonable restitution based on true economic harm vs. emotional factors.
A knowledgeable attorney can incorporate insights across these areas to undermine the prosecution’s arguments. Spodek Law Group possesses this broad expertise, giving clients the best chance of success.
Understanding the prosecutor’s office methods and the judge’s typical sentencing inclinations proves invaluable. This allows tailoring legal strategy for maximum effectiveness in your jurisdiction vs. relying on generic arguments.
Ideally your counsel has regular courtroom experience locally and relationships with court staff and officials. For example, Todd Spodek’s 20+ years practicing in NYC make him a familiar face in Kings County, Bronx County and New York County courtrooms. Judges know he zealously defends his clients’ rights and does not waste the court’s time with frivolous motions and arguments.
Every defendant faces unique circumstances, so select counsel whose priorities align with your needs:
– Avoiding incarceration – If your primary concern is remaining free, prioritize counsel securing bail, dismissal or plea deals with no jail time through suppression motions, deferred prosecutions, etc.
– Minimizing long-term consequences – If concerned with permanent collateral damages like immigration or professional penalties, seek counsel experienced obtaining pleas and sentencing terms that mitigate future fallout.
– Healing community relationships – If resolving the incident through victim/community reconciliation is important, pursue counsel open to alternative justice models and skilled at facilitating meaningful dialogues between parties.
Discuss your personal priorities so the attorney understands wishes beyond just legally minimizing charges and sentencing. This ensures a holistic defense.
Your relationship with counsel heavily influences case outcomes and personal stress levels. Ensure you choose someone demonstrating compassion and open communication:
– Compassion – Given the emotional weight of fatal crash charges, seek counsel like Spodek who appreciate the human impact versus treating it as just another case. Compassion builds trust.
– Availability – Responsiveness matters during chaotic times. Seek attorneys who personally take your calls and provide regular case updates. Larger firms often pass clients between rotating staffers.
– Rapport – Opt for counsel you connect with personally to facilitate sharing sensitive details comfortably. A strong attorney-client relationship leads to better case insights.
During consultations, gauge if the attorney’s communication style suits your needs and personality. This ensures a supportive experience.
Unfortunately, competent legal help often carries significant costs. Be wary of abnormally cheap counsel or pie-in-the-sky guarantees – quality requires investment. Typical fee structures include:
– Hourly – Attorneys bill by time spent. Rates range ~$200-$500+ per hour depending on experience. Billing increments are as short as 6 minutes.
– Flat Fee – Single upfront cost for defined legal services. Typically used for simple matters like traffic violations. Insufficient for homicide defense.
– Hybrid Fee – Flat fee retainer paid upfront followed by hourly billing if the case goes to litigation. Common in criminal defense cases.
– Payment plans – Attorneys may accept payment installments over fixed intervals. Useful for defendants with limited upfront finances.
Discuss options if their standard payment structure proves difficult for your budget. Reputable attorneys will work to find reasonable accommodations. Just don’t withhold information about your finances – transparency allows tailoring fees appropriately.
Speaking with professionals familiar with strong local defense attorneys can provide valuable insights separate from sales pitches. Ask trusted individuals like attorneys in unrelated fields, bondsmen or public defenders for confidential thoughts on lawyers best suited for aggravated vehicular homicide cases.
Take note if certain names consistently arise as top vehicular crimes defense counsel. Consensus referrals carry more weight than a single source’s opinion.
Use state bar association resources to research candidate disciplinary records for ethics violations, suspensions, sanctions and malpractice judgments. Ethical breaches indicate potential issues down the road even if their credentials seem solid otherwise.
Ideally your attorney maintains a clean disciplinary history with the New York State Bar. Someone like Todd Spodek shines here with no sanctions in 20+ years of practice. That’s a great sign of integrity.
The stakes could not be higher when facing Class B felony aggravated vehicular homicide charges carrying 25+ year maximum sentences. While the State presents you as a criminal, in reality you may be a normal person who committed a terrible mistake.
In these complex situations, having the most experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate legal counsel makes all the difference between a just or unjust outcome. Invest time upfront finding the right attorney rather than accepting whoever offers cheap fees or promises the world with flashy advertising. Vet each candidate carefully.
If seeking aggressive and dedicated counsel in the New York City metro area I highly recommend connecting with Todd Spodek at Spodek Law Group for a consultation. With unmatched experience successfully defending vehicular crimes exactly like yours, his representation provides the greatest chance of the most favorable resolution during an excruciating time.
Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.