New York Physical Therapy License Defense Lawyers
Physical therapists in New York provide an invaluable service, helping patients recover from injuries, illnesses, and medical procedures. However, even the most well-intentioned physical therapist can face accusations of misconduct or negligence. Defending your physical therapy license is crucial for protecting your reputation, career, and livelihood. This article provides an overview of common license defense issues for New York physical therapists, as well as tips for finding the right lawyer.
What Could Cause a NY Physical Therapist to Lose Their License?
There are several types of allegations that commonly lead to disciplinary action against a physical therapist’s license in New York:
- Sexual Misconduct – Physical therapy often requires close physical contact, so boundaries can be accidentally crossed. Any sexual relationship with a patient is considered highly unethical. Even sexual harassment of a patient or colleague may result in license discipline.
- Substance Abuse – Even if alcohol or drug abuse happens outside of work, it can still endanger a physical therapy license in NY. It calls judgment and competence into question.
- Patient Abuse – Physical, verbal, or emotional abuse of patients may lead to license discipline. This includes assault, belittling patients, threats, etc.
- Insurance Fraud – Fabricating diagnoses to get higher insurance reimbursements is fraud and grounds for license discipline.
- Negligence – Making serious errors that harm patients, like dropping a patient during transfer, could be grounds for discipline.
- Criminal Convictions – DUIs, crimes of moral turpitude, and profession-related offenses may also endanger a license.
Why Hire a NY Physical Therapist License Defense Lawyer?
Navigating the New York disciplinary process is difficult without an experienced license defense lawyer. Benefits of hiring a lawyer include:
- Guidance on the Process – A lawyer familiar with the OPD can provide invaluable guidance through the complex disciplinary procedure.
- Strong Advocacy – A lawyer can strongly advocate for you before the OPD and Board of Regents disciplinary hearings.
- Negotiation – A lawyer may be able to negotiate a consent order for lesser discipline, avoiding the hearing.
- Level Playing Field – The OPD has broad authority to impose discipline on limited evidence. A lawyer can even the playing field.
- Expertise – Drawing on experience with many similar cases, a lawyer can build the strongest defense.
- Objectivity – Emotions can run high in license defense cases. A lawyer provides objective counsel.
Top Physical Therapist License Defense Law Firms in New York
There are many skilled physical therapy license defense lawyers across New York. Some top firms include:
- Lento Law Firm – They have extensive experience specifically with NY physical therapy license issues.
- Peltz Walker Law – Well-regarded for physical therapy license defense across NY. Very strong reputation.
- Norman Spencer Law Group – Seasoned New York healthcare and license defense lawyers.
- Spodek Law Group – Aggressive defense approach. 24/7 availability. Offer payment plans.
- E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy – Over 125 years experience with professional license defense cases.
Defending your physical therapy license and reputation in New York requires an experienced lawyer. Carefully vet potential lawyers, moving quickly once a complaint is filed. With the right defense, you can resolve the issue with minimal impact to your career. The lawyer you choose is critical – do your research to retain the best license defense firm you can.