Service & Results.

nyc criminal lawyers over 30 years of experienceWe Know How To Win Cases

Spodek Law Group handles tough cases
nationwide, that demand excellence.

Get Free Consultation

Faced 5+ Years in Prison

People Vs Joseph Amico

Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.

Faced 10+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Anna Sorokin

Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.

Faced 3+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Genevieve Sabourin

Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.

Faced Potential Charges

Ghislaine Maxwell Juror

Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.

Why Choose Us

Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.

Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.

We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.

Law in the Media

View All

Meet Todd Spodek


The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.

Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.

In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.

Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group

The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.

We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.

If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.

What Legal Options Do You Have After a Federal Conviction?

By Spodek Law Group | October 19, 2023
(Last Updated On: October 20, 2023)

Last Updated on: 20th October 2023, 11:46 am

What Legal Options Do You Have After a Federal Conviction?

Being convicted of a federal crime can have severe and long-lasting consequences. However, there are legal options available that may help reduce your sentence or overturn your conviction. This article provides an overview of steps you can take after a federal conviction.

Appeal Your Conviction

One of the most common legal options after a conviction is to file an appeal. This involves asking a higher court to review your case and determine if any legal errors occurred during your trial or sentencing[1].

To appeal a federal conviction, you must file a notice of appeal within 14 days after the entry of judgment. Your attorney will handle this process. On appeal, your attorney will argue that errors of law occurred, such as:

  • Improper jury instructions
  • Prosecutorial misconduct
  • Incorrect application of sentencing guidelines
  • Violation of your constitutional rights[2]

If the appellate court finds harmful legal errors occurred, it may order a new trial, re-sentencing, or overturn your conviction. However, appeals rarely result in a conviction being completely overturned[3].

Request a Sentence Reduction

Another option is to request a sentence reduction, also known as a “sentence modification.” This involves asking the court to reduce your term of imprisonment. There are a few ways you can do this[4]:

  • File a motion for compassionate release – You can file this motion if you have “extraordinary and compelling” circumstances, such as a terminal illness. The court can grant early release if it finds you are not a danger to society.
  • Request a sentence reduction for substantial assistance – If you provided “substantial assistance” to prosecutors, such as testifying against co-defendants, the court may reduce your sentence as a reward. The prosecutors must file a motion on your behalf.
  • File a retroactive sentence reduction motion – If the Sentencing Commission lowers the sentencing guidelines for your crime, you may qualify for a reduced sentence. Your attorney can file a motion to reduce your sentence per the new guidelines.

The court has broad discretion in deciding sentence reduction motions. Unfortunately, sentence reductions are hard to obtain and are not granted frequently[4].

Request Clemency

Clemency is when the President or Governor pardons your crime or commutes (reduces) your sentence. It is essentially a showing of mercy or forgiveness[5].

You can request clemency by submitting a petition to the Office of the Pardon Attorney. This involves describing your rehabilitation efforts, remorse, and plans to contribute to society if released. Support letters from friends, family, employers can help demonstrate you deserve clemency[6].

Clemency is very rare – only a fraction of petitions are approved. The President and state Governors receive thousands of clemency requests each year. However, clemency remains an option if you have a compelling case.

File “Habeas Corpus” Motion

After exhausting your appeals, you can file a habeas corpus petition as a “last resort” to challenge your conviction.

A habeas motion alleges your conviction violated the Constitution or involved grave legal errors. For example, you could claim:

  • Ineffective assistance of counsel
  • Prosecutorial misconduct
  • Actual innocence
  • Due process violations

The court will order a new trial if it finds constitutional violations that prejudiced your case. However, habeas relief is extremely limited – most petitions are denied.

You must file the habeas motion within 1 year of your conviction becoming final. This deadline is strict, with few exceptions.

Seek a Presidential Pardon

The President has power under the Constitution to grant pardons “for offenses against the United States.” A presidential pardon forgives your crime and restores certain rights, such as voting.

To obtain a presidential pardon, you must apply through the Office of the Pardon Attorney. This involves a rigorous vetting process that examines your rehabilitation, need for relief, and more. Presidential pardons are very rare.

A pardon does not expunge your conviction or imply innocence. But it shows your offense is forgiven. A pardon can help restore rights, remove barriers to jobs, and ease the stigma of a conviction.


Having a federal conviction overturned or sentence reduced is very challenging. But taking legal steps to fight your conviction or reduce your punishment is better than simply giving up. With an attorney’s help, you may identify options to lessen the long-term burden of a federal conviction.

Free Consultation


I was searching for a law firm with some power to help me deal with a warrant in New York . After 6 days I decided to go with Spodek Law Group. It helped that This law firm is well respected by not only the top law firms in New York , but the DA , Judge as well. I...

~Fonder Brandon

5 Stars
It was my good fortune to retain Spodek Law Group for representation for my legal needs. From the beginning, communication was prompt and thorough. Todd, Kenneth and Alex were the first people I worked with and they all made me feel comfortable and confident that the team was going to work hard for me. Everything was explained and any concerns...

~A G

5 Stars
After meeting with several law firms, I chose the Spodek Law Group not only for their professionalism and experience, but for the personal attention given to me right from the initial consultation. It is important to recognize how crucial having the right legal team is when faced with potentially life altering events that impact families and the lives of loved...

~George Cherubini

Spodek Law Group

White Glove Service

We Provide Superior Service, Excellent Results, At A Level Superior To Other Criminal Defense Law Firms. Regardless Of Where Your Case Is, Nationwide, We Can Help You.
View More

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.


85 Broad St 30th Floor, New York, NY 10004


get directions

Los Angeles

611 S Catalina St Suite 222, Los Angeles, CA 90005


get directions


35-37 36th St, 2nd Floor Astoria, NY 11106


get directions


195 Montague St., 14th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201


get directions
Call Now!