Service & Results.

nyc criminal lawyers over 30 years of experienceWe Know How To Win Cases

Spodek Law Group handles tough cases
nationwide, that demand excellence.

Get Free Consultation

Faced 5+ Years in Prison

People Vs Joseph Amico

Covered by NYDaily News. Las Vegas man accused of threatening a prominent attorney and making vile remarks.

Faced 10+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Anna Sorokin

Covered by New York Times, and other outlets. Fake heiress accused of conning the city’s wealthy, and has an HBO special being made about her.

Faced 3+ Years in Prison

People Vs. Genevieve Sabourin

Accused of stalking Alec Baldwin. The case garnered nationwide attention, with USAToday, NYPost, and other media outlets following it closely.

Faced Potential Charges

Ghislaine Maxwell Juror

Juror who prompted calls for new Ghislaine Maxwell trial turns to lawyer who defended Anna Sorokin.

Why Choose Us

Clients can use our portal to track the status of their case, stay in touch with us, upload documents, and more.

Regardless of the type of situation you're facing, our attorneys are here to help you get quality representation.

We can setup consultations in person, over Zoom, or over the phone to help you. Bottom line, we're here to help you win your case.

Law in the Media

View All

Meet Todd Spodek


The Spodek Law Group understands how delicate high-profile cases can be, and has a strong track record of getting positive outcomes. Our lawyers service a clientele that is nationwide. With offices in both LA and NYC, and cases all across the country - Spodek Law Group is a top tier law firm.

Todd Spodek is a second generation attorney with immense experience. He has many years of experience handling 100’s of tough and hard to win trials. He’s been featured on major news outlets, such as New York Post, Newsweek, Fox 5 New York, South China Morning Post, Insider.com, and many others.

In 2022, Netflix released a series about one of Todd’s clients: Anna Delvey/Anna Sorokin.

Why Clients Choose Spodek Law Group

The reason is simple: clients want white glove service, and lawyers who can win. Every single client who works with the Spodek Law Group is aware that the attorney they hire could drastically change the outcome of their case. Hiring the Spodek Law Group means you’re taking your future seriously. Our lawyers handle cases nationwide, ranging from NYC to LA. Our philosophy is fair and simple: our nyc criminal lawyers only take on clients who we know will benefit from our services.

We’re selective about the clients we work with, and only take on cases we know align with our experience – and where we can make a difference. This is different from other law firms who are not invested in your success nor care about your outcome.

If you have a legal issue, call us for a consultation.
We are available 24/7, to help you with any – and all, challenges you face.

What Legal Options Do You Have After a Federal Conviction?

By Spodek Law Group | October 19, 2023
(Last Updated On: October 20, 2023)

Last Updated on: 20th October 2023, 11:32 am


Legal Options After a Federal Conviction

Dealing with a federal conviction can be overwhelming. You may feel like your life is over and there are no options left. But don’t lose hope! There are still legal avenues you can pursue to try and move on from your conviction.

Appealing the Conviction

One of the first things to consider is appealing your conviction. This involves asking a higher court to review your case and determine if there were any legal errors that affected the outcome. For a federal conviction, you would appeal to the Circuit Court of Appeals that covers the district where you were convicted. The appeal must be filed within 14 days after sentencing. Grounds for an appeal include:

  • Violation of your constitutional rights – for example, if evidence was obtained illegally
  • Prosecutorial misconduct – like concealing exculpatory evidence
  • Ineffective assistance of counsel – if your lawyer made serious errors
  • Improper jury instructions – if the jury wasn’t instructed properly on the law

If the Appeals Court finds there were prejudicial errors, they can order a new trial, dismiss the charges, or modify your sentence. But appeals rarely succeed – only around 10-20% of federal appeals result in reversals. And the appeals process can take over a year to resolve.

Seeking Clemency

Another option is to seek clemency or a pardon. This involves asking the President to show mercy and forgive your crime. A pardon forgives the offense completely, while clemency simply reduces your sentence. The Office of the Pardon Attorney reviews clemency petitions and recommends candidates to the President. To be eligible, you must have completed at least 5 years of your sentence. Factors considered include:

  • How severe your sentence is compared to current law
  • Whether you show remorse and have rehabilitated
  • If you need clemency for rehabilitation or reintegration
  • Your overall criminal history and character

Over the past decade, clemency grants have been relatively rare. President Obama granted over 1,700 petitions, more than any recent president. But President Trump only approved 94 petitions during his term. The process can also take 2-3 years for a decision.

Requesting Compassionate Release

Compassionate release allows courts to reduce your sentence for “extraordinary and compelling” circumstances. It’s meant for cases like terminal illness or elder age. But the criteria was expanded after the First Step Act of 2018. Now courts can consider things like:

  • Your age when convicted – if you were under 18
  • Lengthy sentences under today’s law
  • Family circumstances like loss of a caregiver

You can file a motion yourself or through your lawyer after exhausting appeals. The court will consider factors like public safety, your criminal history, and release plans. If approved, you’ll be placed on supervised release. Approval rates are low – around 6% of motions are granted. But it’s an option if you meet the criteria.

Asking for Sentence Commutation

You can also petition for your sentence to be commuted or reduced by the President. This is different from a pardon – your conviction still stands, but your punishment is lessened. For federal sentences, you can apply to the Office of the Pardon Attorney. They review applications and recommend candidates based on factors like:

  • Disparity between your sentence and sentences today
  • Demonstrated rehabilitation and merits since conviction
  • Remorse and acceptance of responsibility
  • Your value to society if released

If your petition is approved, your sentence can be reduced to time served. But sentence commutations are rare – only a few hundred have been approved in the past decade. The process also takes over a year typically.

Requesting a Pardon

You can request a presidential pardon, which forgives your offense and some civil disabilities. A pardon doesn’t expunge your conviction, but it shows you’ve been rehabilitated. Pardons are granted based on factors like:

  • Your acceptance of responsibility
  • Your character and conduct after conviction
  • Your need for relief and how a pardon could help
  • How much time has passed since your conviction

Over 10,000 petitions are filed annually, but only a few hundred are approved. Pardons are rare for serious offenses – only around 6% of petitions are granted. But it may be an option if you meet the criteria and have turned your life around.

Seeking Expungement

For some minor federal offenses, you may be able to get your record expunged or cleared. This seals your conviction from public view and removes some legal restrictions. Offenses like low-level drug possession may qualify if you meet requirements like:

  • No prior felonies
  • No serious misdemeanors
  • Served your sentence without issues
  • Passed drug tests and classes

You’ll have to petition the court and prove you deserve expungement. It’s a long process and not guaranteed, but can open doors if you qualify. Many states also allow expungement for certain crimes – so check if this is an option where your offense occurred.


A federal conviction feels devastating, but there are still ways to find relief. Consider appealing your conviction, seeking clemency or a pardon, requesting compassionate release or commutation, or asking for expungement. The processes are long and challenging. But don’t lose hope – take it step by step and pursue any options you may qualify for. With hard work and commitment to rehabilitation, a second chance is possible.



Free Consultation


I was searching for a law firm with some power to help me deal with a warrant in New York . After 6 days I decided to go with Spodek Law Group. It helped that This law firm is well respected by not only the top law firms in New York , but the DA , Judge as well. I...

~Fonder Brandon

5 Stars
It was my good fortune to retain Spodek Law Group for representation for my legal needs. From the beginning, communication was prompt and thorough. Todd, Kenneth and Alex were the first people I worked with and they all made me feel comfortable and confident that the team was going to work hard for me. Everything was explained and any concerns...

~A G

5 Stars
After meeting with several law firms, I chose the Spodek Law Group not only for their professionalism and experience, but for the personal attention given to me right from the initial consultation. It is important to recognize how crucial having the right legal team is when faced with potentially life altering events that impact families and the lives of loved...

~George Cherubini

Spodek Law Group

White Glove Service

We Provide Superior Service, Excellent Results, At A Level Superior To Other Criminal Defense Law Firms. Regardless Of Where Your Case Is, Nationwide, We Can Help You.
View More

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to
your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.


85 Broad St 30th Floor, New York, NY 10004


get directions

Los Angeles

611 S Catalina St Suite 222, Los Angeles, CA 90005


get directions


35-37 36th St, 2nd Floor Astoria, NY 11106


get directions


195 Montague St., 14th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201


get directions
Call Now!