Common Reasons New York Doctors Get Investigated
New York’s Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) is responsible for investigating complaints and disciplining doctors who violate state medical practice rules and regulations. Some of the most common allegations that can trigger an OPMC investigation include:
- Negligence, incompetence or malpractice in treating patients
- Improper prescribing or mishandling of medications
- Substance or alcohol abuse
- Sexual misconduct with patients
- Insurance fraud or abusive billing practices
- Unprofessional conduct with staff or colleagues
- Sharing confidential patient information
- Practicing without a valid, current medical license
- Criminal convictions for state or federal offenses
Even if you believe you have done nothing wrong, you should never ignore an OPMC complaint or investigation. The board has broad authority to impose serious penalties against your license – including suspension, revocation, or permanent surrender – based solely on the allegations. Having an attorney ensures your rights are protected.
Why Hiring the Right Lawyer Matters
Not all lawyers have the same track record of success when it comes to medical license defense cases. When choosing legal representation, it is important retain an attorney who specifically focuses on professional discipline cases and has extensive experience defending New York doctors.
Warning signs that a lawyer may not be the best fit:
- They do not dedicate their full practice to medical license defense.
- They cannot provide references from past doctor clients.
- They do not have a proven record of positive outcomes in similar cases.
- They recommend you accept a consent order or settlement without reviewing your case.
- They cannot explain the hearing process and possible disciplinary actions in detail.
A knowledgeable medical license defense lawyer will carefully evaluate the merits of your case and advise you of all your options, including the risks and benefits of settling versus contesting the allegations at a hearing. They will also keep you informed at every stage and make sure no details are overlooked.
Act Fast to Protect Your Reputation and Career
If you have been notified that a complaint was filed against your New York medical license, you should immediately consult with a lawyer experienced in OPMC investigations. A prompt, strategic legal response gives you the best chance of resolving the issue favorably. Even if the allegations are false, you cannot afford to go through this process alone. Your future as a doctor is on the line.