Long Island Doctor License Defense Lawyer
Doctors on Long Island who are facing investigations or charges related to their medical license need experienced legal representation to protect their career. Some common situations that may lead to license defense issues include:
- Allegations of medical malpractice or negligence
- Improper prescription practices
- Insurance or Medicaid fraud
- Substance abuse issues
- Sexual misconduct
If formal charges are brought, the doctor will go through an investigation and hearing process with the New York State Board for Professional Medical Conduct. Potential penalties if found guilty range from fines and probation to license suspension or revocation.
A Long Island doctor license defense lawyer can:
- Advise the doctor on responding to an investigation and avoid self-incrimination
- Represent the doctor in hearings and present evidence in their defense
- Negotiate with the board for lesser penalties or a settlement if appropriate
- Develop alternatives to preserve the doctor’s ability to practice if possible
- Handle appeals if necessary
It is important for doctors to seek legal counsel as soon as they are aware of any complaint or investigation against their license. An experienced lawyer can protect the doctor’s rights and give them the best chance of a favorable resolution. Key considerations are the lawyer’s track record with medical board cases, knowledge of the specific charges, and litigation skills.
Long Island doctors facing action against their medical license need skilled legal representation to avoid potentially career-ending penalties. Consulting with an experienced doctor license defense lawyer early in the process can make the difference between preserving the ability to practice medicine or losing a medical career.