Although you could represent yourself or have other types of professionals represent you in court, a tax lawyer is an expert in the laws that pertain to your situation. Another distinct advantage of securing the services of a tax attorney is that whatever you say to her is usually confidential. This means that she is not legally required to disclose what you share in the courtroom. This is not always the case with other professionals.
When you are searching for a tax attorney, you will need to know:
- Does the tax attorney have a Juris Doctor degree, and has he been admitted to the state bar?
- Has the tax attorney received specialized training in tax law?
- Can the tax attorney help you with accounting issues if needed?
- Can the tax attorney refer you to another specialist with more expertise regarding your areas of concern?
- What is the tax attorney’s fee schedule?
Tax law is highly technical and complicated. A tax lawyer is equipped with the experience and knowledge to handle the legal aspects of your tax circumstances. If you foresee challenges regarding tax fraud, consult with a tax attorney right away to help you avoid or alleviate severe civil or criminal consequences.